Friday, May 13, 2011

Venice Beach

Have you ever been to this vibrant place?



This is Venice Beach in Venice, CA.  Many years ago, local artists and poets made this place as their hang out and eventually for some, their home.  I heard this is where Jim Morrison created The Doors.  Unlike Malibu and Santa Monica, I find Venice Beach unpretentious.  What you see is what you get.  Everything here seems to convey an artistic history.  Other people find it a bit dodgy and cluttered and I can see why it gives that impression. Here in Venice Beach is where you can find medical marijuana easily.  Let me correct that, medical marijuana finds you here.  I think almost all the stores here offer that.


To me though, the vibe that this place generates is simply electric.


Not to be missed are the famous Venice Art Walls.  Not all artists can participate here.







Even the trash cans are artfully decorated!

Stylish and modern houses and apartments can also be found next to the boardwalk.  Some of the Hollywood stars known to have lived here are Julia Roberts, Kate Beckinsale, Jim Morrison, Nicolas Cage, and Robert Downey Jr.  Lindsay Lohan and Samantha Ronson are also known to have their respective apartments in Venice. 

Venice Beach is also known to be the home of Muscle Beach where Arnold Schwarzenegger first started his body building career.



Skateboarders dominate much of the boardwalk. Well, Venice Beach is somehow synonymous to skateboarding.  This particular man though caught my attention.



I was very curious as to what role he plays in Venice Beach so I Googled him. Lo and behold he's in Wikipedia!  How cool is that?!

There are also a lot of historical cafes and bars in Venice Beach. But if you want to avoid the eccentric crowd, this restaurant is just off the main street.


Just a few blocks away from the beach is the famous Venice Canal.  But it's way past my bed time so that will be in my next post.  Have a great weekend wherever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment